[VHFcontesting] Best integrated package for VHF

DAVID C. OLEAN k1whs at worldpath.net
Mon Jun 17 18:40:03 EDT 2002

Hi again!
    I forgot to mention a few things about noise blankers as far as I have
observed here at my QTH. I get very bad line noise that plagues me on 50, 144,
and 222 MHz. I have been going round and round with TWO power companies. (I live
on the state border) Anyway, I have been listening to many bad power poles
lately, and have found that if there are many noise sources within the beam
heading of my antenna, the noise blanker becomes less effective with more noise
sources. For example, on my OMNI V, one noise leak can be removed entirely,
usually with only a slight rotation of the blanker control. As more leaks get
active, as the sun comes up, the blanker has to be advanced more and more, until
it becomes pretty ineffective. Strong signals overload it then, and all the
noise isn't blanked. Some directions must have 7 or 8 different leaks. The noise
runs together, and pulses start to look like continuous garbage.
    So how do you rate noise blankers? At my place, it depends on the day, and
how many leaks have decided to be active at a particular time. As another
mention, I get noise from as far away as four miles that I can identify. In
addition there is a noise peak towards the nearest big town. (8 miles!) that I
cannot even begin to track down. So, along the 6-8 miles of power lines that
bother me, there will be anywhere from 15 to 20 bad spots that make lots of
noise.
    Maybe people should try to give an indication of what their particular
environment is when mentioning performance. Unless you have two different radios
side by side, comparisons will be problematic!

73
Dave K1WHS