[VHFcontesting] RE: [Kenwood] TS811A comments

Jeff Kershaw kj6fd at hamnet.net
Thu Jun 20 18:07:24 EDT 2002

John,

I have the TS-711 (the 2 meter sister of the 811)and really enjoy it.  I had
a ts-700 prior to that and can tell you that the 711 is alot nicer.  For 432
I am using a Yaesu 780R and it is pretty deaf.  The 711/811 has Dual VFOs,
IF Shift, RIT and a pretty decent noise blanker.  The only complaint that I
have is that there was/is no provision to switch an external amp.

The 811 can not power the preamp thru the coax.  I power and switch mine
thru 10bT cable using 3 of the wires for the 2m preamp and and three for the
432 preamp.  This is the better way to go anyway IMHO.

I found this info on the net:

THIS IS A USB, LSB,CW AND FM TRANSCEIVER.. HAS A  SPEECH PROCESSOR, RUNS ON
AC OR DC, DUAL 10Hz STEP DIGITAL VFO DESIGN,  INCORPORATING A SINGLE
TEMPERATURE COMPENSATED  CRYSTAL OSCILLATOR FOR THE ULTIMATE IN  STABILITY,
HIGHLY VISIBLE DISPLAY, 40 CHANNEL  MEMORY( FREQUENCY, MODE, DIAL DATA, TX
OFFSET, AND SUBTONE CAN BE MEMORIZED),  AUTO MODE SELECTION, MUILTIFUCTION
MAIN  TUNING DIAL, RIT +/- 9.99KHz, SCAN, PRIORITY  CHANNEL, LOCK, ALL MODE
SQUECLH, IF SHIFT ! ,  RF ATTENUATOR, IF YOU GET THE OPTIONAL  INTERFACE IT
CAN BE COMPUTER CONTROLLED.. 25-WATTS OUTPUT CAN BE TURNED DOWN TO  2-WATTS
FROM THE FRONT PANEL   SENSITIVITY..

I would pick up an 811 if I could find one.

Hope that helps

73

Jeff WW6J (ex kj6fd)
www.kj6fd.freeservers.com