[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

Dave Pascoe KM3T km3t at contesting.com
Wed May 22 14:12:53 EDT 2002

On May 22, 2002 Tree N6TR <tree at kkn.net> wrote:

> I guess I don't understand what the difference is between making skeds
> during the contest using non-amateur means, and making them before the
> contest using non-amateur means.  To me, the contest starts at a certain
> time, and you try to work as many guys as you can.  Doing a bunch of work
> ahead of time before the contest isn't part of the contest.
>
> Oh HF - doing this is not considered to be fair.
>
> On VHF - it is.
>
> Those of us coming from HF will feel that making skeds ahead of time
> is wrong.  Those who have been working VHF for a long time will feel
> it is what has always been done.
>
> We each get to make our own choices.
>
> I think I have tried one or two skeds during a contest - and no QSOs
> came out of it.  I have decided I would rather operate the contest
> without these - and use my radios to the best of my ability to
> initiate as many QSOs as I can.  This includes moving people to as
> many bands as possible during the contest.

And that's very admirable.  And really in the spirit of what contests were
meant to be.  And should be.  Believe me, I'm no major champion of skeds.
I've just seen skeds as both a competitive edge, whether noble or not, and
a way to encourage some activity in the rarer grids.  I suppose there are
better, more general ways of encouraging activity.  We could just band
together and email those guys prior to the contest to remind them of the
event, etc.  That might benefit everyone, rather than just the few who
make skeds.  And, in the end, probably better for the long-term survival
of VHF contesting.

But I can tell you that I did successfully complete a good number of those
skeds, and our score was the better for it.  Would it have been more in
the spirit of the contest to work those guys randomly, without the aid of
the sked?  Yes, no doubt about it.  Do I feel bad for doing it?  Not
really.  Those skeds were made within the scope of the rules, and when
you're in a competitive situation, I think most people feel that it's OK
to do whatever it takes to better your score, as long as no rules are
broken.

I guess what I think I see is both sides of the reality equation.
Activity on VHF is dwindling.  Skeds have been a fun way of eliminating
one variable (the flashlight problem) and making some pretty challenging
QSOs.  And encouraging someone to get on the air.  What we really need, of
course, is better ways to encourage activity.  But I'm just as guilty as
the next guy.  I don't get on very much at all.  Other priorities.  So I
wonder whether other people are in the same boat, or whether they've just
lost interest in VHF.  But I digress.

And for those who have commented on their not succeeding on a lot of those
skeds.  I kind of view that as part of the challenge.  If you know who the
capable stations are, know what is possible given your equipment, etc.,
then it's more possible to make better decisions on who to sked with.
But, again, that's done outside the contest.  Back to the original
question of ethics and sportsmanship.

> Others will choose different paths - and that is okay, as long as no
> rules are being violated.  Some contests have rules against skeds,
> others don't.

I'd be perfectly happy to see a rule outlawing skeds in the mainstream VHF
contests.  As long as everyone abides by the same rules, I'm happy.

-Dave