[VHFcontesting] Pre-contest skeds

George Fremin III - K5TR geoiii at kkn.net
Thu May 23 08:42:31 EDT 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 12:41:08AM -0400, Dave Pascoe KM3T wrote:

> This is an interesting discussion, but where are we going with it?  It
> seems that the conclusions are that some people don't feel too bad about
> making a few skeds to make things interesting and some would rather take
> the high road.

Yeah - I guess I "take the high road" but to me that makes
it more interesting - knowing that I did not spend weeks before
the contests setting up skeds or talking up unique QSOs on the
local repeaters etc.

If one is really serious about increasing activity on the
bands I think they should do things that encourge activity.

While getting guys on the local repeater to work you
in the VHF contest might one feel like they are are exposing them
to SSB/CW VHF I dont think a short distance FM contact
is doing much to further that end.  I think it would be better
to invite some of them over or to give a talk at the
local club with recordings of QSOs etc.

One thing that I have been doing is getting on and being
active on the VHF bands.  When I work someone for the first
time I send them a QSL card the next or same day.
I dont know if this does too much but it is often the only
time some of these guys have gotten a QSL card - and many times
they are very new to VHF ssb and if the contact is distant
than it gives them something to brag about.

> There is nothing in the rules that prohibits skeds.  Is
> there an implied suggestion that there should be?  If so, this should
> probably be referred to the CAC for further study.  Whether that happens
> or not, the debate is still interesting.

I dont know - I know that the culture on the VHF bands
comes from a sked background.  Should there be a rule - right
now I would say that there is no support for such a rule.
Might this change - maybe - and I think that is where this
discussion is good as it shows people that there are some
out there that do not think skeds are good and that they
do not make them for contests.

When I first started doing some VHF contesting 15 years ago
it was common to give out your telephone number so you
could be called on the telephone during the contest
to set up a sked - we have a rule against this now.

(I think this topic has run it's course.)
--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr