[VHFcontesting] Re: homebrewing a medium power 2 meter amp

Dan Evans N9RLA danlevans at msn.com
Thu Nov 21 21:25:53 EST 2002

Hi Folks,

I would like to thank everyone for all of the suggestions and tips.

Most suggested that if I want to go with a "medium" power amp, I should look
for an AM6154 and modify it for 2 meters.  These are pretty affordable, and
it would take out about 98% of the work!  This is definitely a good idea,
and I may go this route.

Many others suggested that if I do go the homebrew route, I should look into
some of the cheap surplus Russian tubes.   I could build a 1500w amp this
way for about the same cost.  This too is a good idea, and I will be
researching the topic more.

A few folks recommended the RSGB VHF/UHF Handbook.  I've been planning to
buy one of these for awhile anyway so this is my next step.  Would anyone
like to suggest other good books to learn from?  I'm not an engineer, but
I'm not afraid of a little math.

Thanks again for all of the positive feedback!
73
Dan

Dan Evans N9RLA
Scottsburg, IN 47170
{EM78}
IN-Ham list administrator
QRP-l #1269
1/2 of the N9RLA /R no budget Rover Team
Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
http://www.qsl.net/n9rla