[VHFcontesting] microwave loop boom

Rick R rick1ds at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 8 00:13:54 EDT 2002

Can someone help me understand why microwave loop antennas are made on a
tubular boom rather than a square-tube boom? I am in the process of
improving some of my rover microwave antennas, and will be restoring the
length of the 903, 1296 and 2304 loopers back to their full sizes (I have
been using half of them for several years, figured this is the easiest and
cheapest way to add db for both xmt and rcv). When I bought these loopers,
they came with a small piece of square tubing mount and aluminum plate. I am
also going to remount the antennas to the main mast using a piece or 2 of
rectangular cross-boom to support all the loops, as it makes the alignment,
drilling, and parallel mounting of all the loopers easier. I was just
curious as to why the ease of using a rectangular boom for these loopers is
not the standard? Would it severely degrade or affect the antenna/gain
pattern?
Thanks...rr.. K1DS