[Mw] Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL Membership Services Committee VHF/UHF Award...

Ed Kucharski k3dne at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 10 18:17:43 EDT 2002

Well put, Bill.
There are many ways to increase activity as has been expressed very well
over the
past few days on these reflectors.
I have been impressed by the amount of activity in past January VHF SS
associated
with club competition.  ARRL recently added the September VHF QSO Party as
a club
competition and I don't see why the June version of that contest, the ARRL
UHF contest
and the CQWW VHF contest should not be included for club competition.  At
club meetings,
presentations could be given to encourage members to participate AND submit
scores -
by encouraging club member participation in VHF+ contests we could target
the casual ops to
send in scores, get to the FM ops to send in scores and hopefully explore
the weak signal
portion of the bands (on SSB/CW, of course) and to hit the HF ops
(especially HF contesters)
to try out VHF+ contesting.  At the club level, awards could be given out
to top scorers in the
club.  I am a member of the Potomac Valley Radio Club (PVRC), which is more
of an HF contesting
club, but in recent years has become very competitive in VHF+ club
competition.  PVRC awards an
engraved gavel to it's club station with the highest score in each club
competition contests.  We
also have other club awards to stimulate contest activity (which works well
to increase HF contest
activity too).
There is an Introduction to VHF/UHF Weak-Signal Operating by N1DPM and
WA2TEO (now K1TEO)
- A downloadable presentation YOU can present to your local club on the
NEWS web-page at
http://www.newsvhf.com/

Happy VHF+ contesting!

73,