[VHFcontesting] June VHF Contest; 6 meter activity

curtis c. roseman croseman at usc.edu
Sun Apr 6 23:01:07 EDT 2003

Thanks to Jon and George for their observations.   Here's more:

I agree that the activity on 6 meters has never been higher, at least in the June contest. Here are the highest all-time QSO totals (since grid squares were introduced in June 1985):

HIGHEST SIX METER QSO TOTALS, JUNE VHF QSO PARTY:

BAND	QSOs	GRDS	CALL	Class	YEAR	SECT

50	1358	245	W5KFT	L	98	STX
50	1212	233	N5HHS	S	98	STX
50	1161	269	W5KFT	L	96	STX
50	1104	260	W5KFT	L	00	STX
50	1090	221	W5UWB	S	98	STX
50	1077	262	N5HHS	B	99	STX
50	1066	240	W1XE	L	98	CO
50	1031	234	K0GU	S	98	C0
50	1023	232	N5HHS	S	96	STX
50	1020	260	K5AM	B	00	NM
50	1009	210	W8CM	S	98	NTX
50	992	219	K5IUA	M	98	STX
50	991	<219	WB2WIH	B	00	SFL
50	985	256	K5CM	S	87	OK
50	983	229	AA9D	M	98	IL
50	976	278	WB0DRL	L	92	KS

Only two of these come from before 1996.  Both of those years, 1987 and 1992 had fabulous conditions, perhaps the best in the last 25 years. Obviously, 1998 was a great year as well, but notice how 96, 99 and 00 sneak into this list too.  Another indicator of conditions is the highest grid totals:

HIGHEST 6 METER GRID TOTALS, JUNE VHF QSO PARTY:

50	969	279	K5JL	M	87	OK
50	976	278	WB0DRL	L	92	KS
50	832	272	W0UC/9	M	92	WS
50	1161	269	W5KFT	L	96	STX
50	1077	262	N5HHS	B	00	STX
50	1104	260	W5KFT	L	00	STX
50	1020	260	K5AM	B	00	NM
50	944	258	W7XU	L	98	SD
50	846	256	K5CM	S	92	OK
50	985	256	K5CM	S	87	OK
50	749	253	AA9D	M	92	IL
50	730	253	N6CA	M	87	SB
50	655	252	NN9K	M	92	IA

Using this measure, the best years were 1987, 1992, 1996, 00, and 1998. However, 1987 and 1992 did not produce nearly as many QSOs as did later years.  What about 01 and 02?  The highest grid totals in 01 and 02 were 229 and 166, respectively, both at K8GP.  The overall conditions in those last two years were simply poor compared to many previous years.

Although I haven't done a formal analysis of the comparison between the grids and QSOs, it is clear that over the last eight years or so more QSOs per grid are being worked than in previous years.

I agree that the increasing numbers of HF rigs with 6 meter capability is the primary factor.  However, increased rover activity might account for some of the increase of QSOs. Although several of the stations listed on these two tables did not depend upon "local" rovers very much, they probably worked some rovers more than once via Es.

In all likelihood, one of the next two or three years will again produce widespread and lengthy openings, and again several stations will work more than 1000 QSOs on 6.  ...maybe this year.

73, Curt Roseman k9aks