[VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

James Ahlgren MD w4rx at starpower.net
Mon Apr 7 19:54:45 EDT 2003

K2AXX makes some very rational points here.

The whole purpose of the VHF contests is to encourage pushing the frontiers
in station design and operating.  You can bet that the guy who has a good
signal on the microwave bands also has a powerhouse station on six and two
and will be using it to best advantage in the contest.  Many of these guys
will be doing something else if the contest is limited to the low bands, and
participation will fall, not rise.  The scoring structure was wisely
designed to encourage higher band participation and thereby increase band
usage in a region threatened by commercial interests.

>From a practical point of view, a special contest for 6 meters or for 6 and
2 meters is not likely to be a big success.  Witness participation in the CQ
VHF contest, limited to 6 and 2 and with time of year chosen for the maximum
sporadic E activity.  The CQ VHF contest even has the advantage of having
full results printed in a major magazine, something the ARRL has unwisely
chosen not to do.  Still, it has nothing like the activity of the ARRL
contests.  There just isn't enough going on on two bands to hold interest
for the full time.  All another contest like this would do is siphon
activity by the less-equipped stations away from the major contests, further
reducing participation.

IF there really is a desire to create new categories to make it possible for
the plug and play gang to win in their category, then create categories for
them to let them have their special niche in the contest.  But don't reduce
the incentives for those willing to put their time into station design to
utilize the microwaves.

I remember when I first started operating in VHF contests
("mountain-topping" as we called it in those days, the rover category hadn't
been invented yet).  I used low power and portable antennas and had a great
time.  I never thought twice about the guy who had more power and more bands
having an advantage.  I knew I could build up my station like his if that
was where my priorities were - the same rules applied to everybody.  I
appreciated those high power guys out there to give me more and longer
distance QSOs.  Now the tables are reversed and a lot of my time in the
contests is spent giving contacts to guys with low power and small antennas
on six and two.

My advice for what it's worth:  It ain't broke so don't fix it.

73,

Jim
W4RX
FM19bb