[VHFcontesting] W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Tue Apr 8 10:39:51 EDT 2003

Cabrillo, like .TXT, is just a format. And it's a pretty good format. Part
of the problem is that it does NOT include such things as a pretty
band-by-band summary, nor an easy indication of dupes, etc.

Now, there are accessory programs out there that allow you to summarize a
cabrillo submission and mine the information. Your own logging program (such
as either flavor of VHFTEST, Roverlog, CT, etc) should be able to mine the
appropriate info and tell you what you need to know. If we're going to
stumble over this as a topic of change, then our priorities are misdirected.

As for rewards for operating, this is one which needs discussion. Simple
recognition was a great thing in QST. I contend, that when ARRL stopped
sponsorship of the Sprints, and removed the results to NCJ (then abandoned
it altogether) it killed incentives to continue to operate these fun events.
Back in the heyday, it wasn't uncommon to work 100+ QSOs on 2m, and 60+ on
222/432. And I'm not in a high density area of the east coast, either. Now,
it's like pulling teeth to work 50+ stations, if that many even fire up!
Moving results to the website offers yet another disincentive to filing a
report. These results should NOT be a members-only thing, either.

Adding categories of operation shouldn't become as Politically correct,
either. No classes for "Single-Operator, Limited Power, Limited antenna
(booms under 10'), limited elevation, IC-706" or "Rover, low power, FM HT,
1/4 wave whip". These categories should make sense, and create competition
in a logical manner. Perhaps a class like "Single-Op, Low Power, 4-Band" or
similar. That would encompass folks with an IC-706MKIIG, FT-100, TS-2000 and
the like. LOTS of those out there. They could then compete head-to-head,
without worrying about people with 300-band stations. Even a QRP FIXED
station class, recognizing that the FT-817 is SUPER popular.

Aw, I dunno. But this thread is bringing out some good discussion. And I
appreciate the tone that it's been conducted with - VERY rational, sound
thinking, and frankly one of the better threads I've seen. Keep it up, guys.

-K2AXX