[VHFcontesting] Why do you ...

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Tue Apr 8 11:47:40 EDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, N1OFZ wrote:

> In closing, many local guys in my area drive out of the cities and to
> the mountain tops to
> give a few Q's on FM for a few hours.  These guys don't hump a laptop
> around with them
> (if they even have one) to log the 10-20 Q's they make.  They just do
> it for a little fun.
> You will never get these guys to submit logs no matter how easy you try
> to make it.  Then
> when this guy gets the contesting bug and gets a multimode rig he may
> not want to
> submit that 500 point score he racked up for the whole world to see.
> Last year I operated
> in 4 ARRL VHF/UHF contests yet only submitted logs for June and
> September.  Why, I
> only felt like submitting logs in which I was able to give a good
> effort.
>
> N1OFZ

I'm one of those guys.  Sort of.  My favorite operating class in VHF
contests is Single-Op Portable (QRP-portable).  Almost all of my VHF+
contesting has been this way.  My setup has grown over the years to where
I take gear for all bands 144 thru 10368 MHz with me.  Sometimes I take
along 50 MHz too.

I have enough trouble cramming transverters and antennas for 9 bands into
a Toyota Corolla.  I do not take along a laptop.  I usually put my log
data into CT when I get home and produce a log to e-mail that way.  But I
do as a rule send in a log.

I usually don't expect to win anything.  I just go out for fun, some new
grids and the great weather (hopefully) (except in the January contest.)
I have accidentally won Illinois in the QRP-portable class a couple times.
:-)

73, Zack W9SZ, EN50vc Urbana, IL