[VHFcontesting] re: W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

Ed Kucharski k3dne at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 8 14:43:27 EDT 2003

At 04:45 PM 4/8/2003 +0000, you wrote:

>So that's my 2 cents. Pile it on me guys!!
>
>bill, K1DY 50MHz-3456MHz, FN54, Maine

Hi Bill,
No piling-on from me.  I agree with your post and it pretty much echo's my
vhf+ operating philosophy.  I presently can only get on for the big
contests, some of the sprints and the occasional band openings that I find
out about when I log onto the internet from home or work.  The time for me
to be a casual or everyday vhf+ op is very limited with my work and family
responsibilities (xyl and 6 and 3 year old boys) - maybe that is where
everyone else is too - busy being worker bees, moms and dads and too busy
to get on the radio even for the contests.  I have noticed that even though
my scores in recent years have increased - probably associated with working
more rovers, adding a couple of microwave bands and building a better
station - overall participation and log submission is down.  That is where
my concern is centered - not necessarily to save the bands from commercial
interests but more for increasing participation and making the contest
operating experience more fun.  I agree with your statement; "a few new,
*well thought out* entry categories are probably a good idea, but let's not
make a category for every single entry so everyone gets a prize" I think
that is what needs to be explored to start to re-increase contest and
everyday vhf+ activity.  That January VHF SS in 61 with it's 1500 entries
must have been a lot of fun!
73,
Ed K3DNE