[VHFcontesting] Re: Contests

KG4QDZ kg4qdz at arrl.net
Tue Apr 8 17:11:13 EDT 2003

A lot of good points have been presented. However, I think the submission
numbers have been overanalyzed.... ;)  I don't see a statistical trend in
the numbers either way, especially considering the following, but I'd
probably flunk ink blot tests too <G>

All I have are 6, 2, and 70cm. I tried the January contest. I got a
ridiculous score. My XYL, also a ham (we're both relatively new), looked at
the big numbers of the past and suggested I not bother - or embarass myself.
Maybe because I'm new, I did anyway. Now, it was fun hearing activity on the
air and participating, but I can't guarantee that I would be motivated in
all the log keeping and Cabrillo formatting 3 years from now, KNOWING that
I'm at the bottom.... I suspect that's the reason for stagnating log
entries. There is probably some level of score that, on average for most, is
too low to bother with. The first few times you ignore that, but after that
you quit going through the trouble. As top scores rise, that line rises
somewhat, and less submit. As newcomers try it, they replace those that drop
off.

In other words, if it were possible for me to compete with anyone (I worked
hard for my 12 ;) , then competition would be a motivator. As it is now, the
motivator for me is to make contacts on an otherwise 'dead' radio. After the
contact, there is no motivation to do the paperwork (but I did it anyway
this time)!

I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but perhaps the 'character' of the
numbers should be looked at. If there's a small group at the top, then a
group in the middle, and a group of low scores, rather than a smooth
continuity, it might indicate the natural results of operating conditions
such as "unlimited antennas", "stealth antennas", and "no antennas" or such.
The contest could then be structured to allow someone to compete within
their 'group' with some hope. I can't see how anything other than
competition motivates one to submit a log all the time. I'm pretty sure the
guys in it for fun don't consider the log formatting, et al, fun...

I'd like to get into the competition side of it, but I have about as much of
a chance at even 'being' competition as I would racing an olympic runner! I
wouldn't bother recording my time in a foot race either <G>

And watch out - I may submit 15 points next time! <G>

73, Skip

-----
Dr. Skip Coppola, KG4QDZ
EM73ru