[VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong solution

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 12:47:26 EDT 2003

There are already plenty of ways to win a certificate
in the ARRL contests.  You can go QRP portable, and
you stand a good chance of winning your section, which
is a certificate.  You can stay at home and if you
win, either hi or lo power, that is a certificate.  If
you have the highest score in your section on 1
particular band (either hi or lo) you win a
certificate.  If you go roving and you win your
division, you get a certificate.

Handing out more paper is not going to significantly
increase participation.  I don't think most people
today go into a contest with the idea of I had better
win a certificate or the hell with it.  Here are my
reasons for entering a contest, in reasons of
importance:

1. Work a new state or grid square on a VHF/UHF band
2. Have fun working others since the activity level is
increased
3. Say hi to others I haven't worked in awhile
4. Test out how my station is doing at the present
time
5. Hand out contacts to others who are contesting more
seriously
6. Maybe win an award

Look were the certificate is (last), and I am sure
that many others feel the same way.  I just looked at
the results for the CW Sweepstakes.  I finished in
last place for Oklahoma, although with a good last
place score-18K.  I knew from the beginning that I
wasn't going to win my section, but still got on a
played a little anyway.

I got a certificate awhile back from CQ magazine for
one of the CQWPX contests for being first place, 15
meters, low power, tribander-single element in zero
land.  How many others entered in that category?
Exactly zero.  I don't think that I even saved the
certificate.

If we are going to ever solve the contest entry
problem, we need to tackle the larger problem-why
don't people play on VHF in general?  Why has activity
decreased on VHF/UHF?  I don't think that anyone is
going to look at the ARRL rules (which written in an
insulting way in QST anymore) and say "Gee, they have
created a category where I might win an award.  I had
better go get that 70cm rig, amp and yagi
immediately."  I think very few base their activity
choices solely on contesting.

73s JOhn NE0P