[VHFcontesting] Real Efforts for Real Results [was:Contest results in QST]

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Thu Apr 10 19:56:48 EDT 2003

I agree with Tree.  If you missed his post, look over the snips below...
> I am alarmed at this thread turning into ARRL bashing.
<snip>
> Pointing at line scores being removed is an easy thing to blame.
<snip>
> What have each of us done to encourage activity on the VHF/UHF bands?  Do
> we help out new people on the band by answering their CQs and getting to know
> them?  Are we active in local clubs talking up the contests?  Are we putting
> up beacons so there is something to be heard when people turn their radio on?
>
> When we work someone with a new rig, but no antenna for 432, do we encourage
> them to get on and give it a try?  Maybe we offer to loan them an antenna to
> get on.
>
> Contests become more fun for everyone when there is lots of activity.  It takes
> energy to help generate more activity - and we all need to do our part to help
> out.  If someone gets on in a contest and has fun, they will be back.
What is most profound about what he said and suggested is that there is no
premise, other than the desire to allow more people to enjoy VHF contesting!
There is no premise that anything is wrong that needs fixing...simply a desire
to expand things further.  Bravo, Tree!

I go back to my original post as to why we contest:
1. It's fun
2. There's some sort of a perceived reward

The question is, "What do YOU do to share your fun with others?"

You wanna see what I'm doing?  It's never been done before to my knowledge.
Read my next email. :)

Ev Tupis, W2EV