[VHFcontesting] W3ZZ's QST Contesting Article

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Fri Apr 11 18:06:01 EDT 2003

I suppose a distance scoring element is worth considering, BUT:

If we're trying to encourage folks to play, then that's yet another
discouraging factor. This stacks the decks in favor of the "big guns", since
those big stations have big stuff that can make the most of the big distance
points. If the emphasis is on creating parity in scoring nationally - then
its another story. Grid squares, for the most part, are the same distance
apart (unless a rover goes SO far north that he can do 20 in an hour) so
working lots of em gets to be tough by the nature of VHF+.

That said, population density still determines scoring. Distance may even it
some, but the quantities of people to work still plays an important role in
beefing up a score. F'rinstance, guys in the Central US work both coasts on
6m via Es. Now that's big points + Big QSOs. BUT-  if I work a double-hop
opening to the west coast, that's bigger points per QSO. And I still have
the advantage of large #s of QSOs available. In this model, I can't see
distance scoring making a huge difference. Mebbe I'm wrong.

On 2m and above, normal tropospheric scatter between big stations can be
upwards of 500 miles. Less for smaller stations. That means, guys on
mountains will trounce guys in valleys. Conversely, if that valley happens
to be the HUDSON valley - then lots of QSOs go in the log. That might
nullify the huge advantages that distance scoring could offer.

This problem has been discussed for years, with the current rules still in
force after all this talk. Again, the issue is activity overall. Period. If
ham radio activity is dropping, wouldn't you naturally expect this trend to
be magnified in high-profile events such as contests? I'd assume so. So what
does this all mean?

I dunno...

Mark, K2AXX
ABCD9EFGHIJL