[VHFcontesting] No Data+only annecdotal speculation=wrong

Robert Cumming w2bzy at cfl.rr.com
Fri Apr 11 23:19:06 EDT 2003

Skip

As stated in an earlier e-mail to this forum.  You need to get your local
club involved.  If need be run for office and use the pulpit to broadcast
the Weak signal message.

Ideas follow:

Sponsor a picnic.  The local club here in Orlando Florida has a bimonthly
event called "Saturday in the Park".  This event allows newcomers to gain
"Hands on" experience with different modes - ie weak signal
VHF/UHF.  Usually for the June contest I offer to have it at my QTH
beginning on noon Saturday.  this give everyone a chance to eat and ask
questions before the contest starts.  (I even pick up a few "Q"s as people
leave for home on 50, 144 and 432 SSB with all those IC 706s and FT 100s
out there mobile.

One of the club members, KU4WD, has taken the hook so deep that he has
placed 1st in the Single Op-Low Power Cat  here in the NFL section more
than once.  (it makes the Elmer feel great).

Use the clubs newsletter to introduce the concept of VHF operations to
those members having those new DC-Daylight radios.  Convince them to get
something up that is horizontally polarized.   They wonder why they never
hear anything on 2M+ SSB with their vertical (-20 Db or so).   If you
become President run a monthly "Prez Sez" column and preach the "Weak
signal" message.

Never pass up the chance to give a program to the ham community on Weak
Signal operation.  I did on last year at the Annual QCWA convention (great
attendance and interest at the forum). Ask for forum space at local
Hamfests.   Does your local club offer entry-level classes for new
hams?  Ask to offer a 15-60 minute presentation on Weak Signal.   Does your
local club offer a program at its meetings? Stand up and preach to the
crowd, answer questions, offer tours of your station to local teachers with
radio clubs and other interested parties  - a lot of new (and old) hams
don't know vhf and above goes beyond line of sight.

Its hard to stop preaching once you start.  Try it - you'll like it (also
the increased interest raises ones Contest scores).

VRY 73
Bob Cumming
W2BZY
President - Orlando Amateur Radio Club