[VHFcontesting] Full Circle -- Why we operate

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sat Apr 12 09:37:12 EDT 2003

One can argue 'till the cows come home about what makes it fun for you, and
custom design rules that make it more fun -- for you.

The best contest rules are those that allow lots of ways of having fun; none to
the exclusion of other's fun.  The best contesting sponsors are those that
realize this and referee without removing the fun-factor (Referees: it's about
having fun...stop seeing yourselves as judges, juries and executioners).

We operate (even between contests) because:
o It's fun
o We are rewarded somehow

We turn in logs because:
o It's easy
o We are rewarded for doing so

My point continues to be that the wrong people are commenting (and making
decisions) on this stuff.  These people are already operating and turning in
logs.  To know why someone *doesn't* do something, you need to ask the person
who *isn't* doing it.  Not let those that are, speculate.

Ev Tupis, W2EV
--
What's cool in Amateur Radio?
PropNET, CU2QSO and Cu2QSO -- All part of the BEACONet Project
sending a blank eMail to: BEACONet-subscribe at yahoogroups.com