[VHFcontesting] Full Circle -- Why we operate

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sat Apr 12 19:15:58 EDT 2003

W-O-W!  These points address the issue of "encouraging the submission of logs".

We submit logs because:
o It's easy
o There is a reward for doing so

With a tip of my hat to Scott be prepared for creative thinking, enclosed below:

ksjones wrote:
> How about allowing the logs submitted to
> count toward VUCC, WAS, DXCC, etc...   With the ARRL's Logbook Of The World
> (LOTW) project, we are entering a time when this might be plausible.
> An additional suggestion would be to, via the web, allow the creation of
> participation certificates upon either submission of log or publishing of
> the results.  Once results are published, a participant would be able to go
> in and create a couple of different  certificates, some even dependant upon
> their results, that they can print locally and thereby receive immediately.

This is brilliant, and do-able (but only if someone is actually listening at
HQ)!  All of a sudden, there is further incentive for submitting your log --
e-l-e-c-t-r-o-n-i-c-a-l-l-y!  Just what the ARRL wants anyway!

There is no reason in the world that certificates can't be robot auto-created in
.PDF and emailed to each participant who submitted an electronic log (this would
further save postage and processing costs for the ARRL as a side benefit).

Also...as for using logs for ARRL awards?  This one's a no-brainer, too.  As
long as both sides of the QSO submit (in an auditable way), it's no different
than QSL cards.  Maybe even a "ranking" system similar to what eBay uses to rate
transactions to assure people don't become perennial log-submitting dead-beats.
:)

Yes, there are details to be worked out...but this is just the type of thinking
that will transform our hobby into the 21st century.  There are lots of reasons
why something shouldn't be done...the question is "who has the 21st century
vision to make it happen?".

Ev, W2EV