[VHFcontesting] Fw: [PVRC] Contesters

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Sun Apr 13 12:54:21 EDT 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, James Ahlgren MD wrote:

> I thought the attached post on the PVRC reflector might bear repeating here.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim
> W4RX
>

> > Quoted from W2CSH post:
> > "My first attempt at this posting was to say how I really fell about
> > contests. (I have no interest in them and usually schedule a golf outing
> on
> > contest weekends). (I hate golf too but I hate contests more). Then I got
> > thinking why I feel this way about contests. Its mainly because I have
> never
> > tried one and probably wouldn't know what to do in one in any event. There
> > is a group of contesters in my radio club and they have never once given a
> > presentation on basic contesting to the club. They have also never invited
> > anyone else to participate in a contest. I also don't see any articles in
> > the three major ham magazines I subscribe to on basic contesting 101. I
> have
> > always subscribed to the "You might like it if you try it" school and I
> > suppose if I knew more about contesting and how to enter and participate
> in
> > one I would try it once. But Contesters in general don't seem to be
> > interested in developing new contesters. Ham magazines and web sites don't
> > seem to be interested in telling the rest of us what contesting is all
> > about. Seems like the 10% participation of those who will actually send in
> > log makes a pretty good case that contesters are in the minority in ham
> > radio. Why is that?"
> >
> > 73...   Bill K3WA

Field Day has always been great for that.  In this area, we often treat it
as a contest, even though "it's not a contest."  The result is that we've
acquired several new contesters, some of which have become quite good.  We
also have a small contest club which is part of our main local club.
People are welcome to come and have some fun.

Zack W9SZ