[VHFcontesting] declines in VHF contesting and weak signal operating

Dan Evans K9ZF danlevans at msn.com
Sun Apr 13 22:30:04 EDT 2003

I agree with Curt, K9AKS, on most points.  I too see the contests as not
being broken, so I hate to see much change in format.

1. Rover rules.  I understand the change in Rover rules chased off a lot of
ops, but that was before my time.  However, I'm not sure that changing them
back would bring anyone back now.  The damage is done.  I would not be
opposed to the changes that someone proposed, but I don't think it will
boost activity.

2.  Categories.  I really think there is enough categories.  I understand
the argument folks have for adding more, but again, I don't think it will
boost activity.  I really don't think many people decide not to operate
because they can't win a category.

3.  Log submission.  Here is a good place for improvement.  I know there are
a lot of folks who make contacts but don't bother to submit a log for one
reason or another.  I think this is a good place for some active leadership.
How about standing up at your next local club meeting and volunteering to
submit logs for any club members that may need the help.  Yes, it may be a
lot of work, but most of these will likely be real small logs anyway.  Right
after your presentation of weak signal VHF work would be a good time to
volunteer. You do go to your local club meetings, right?

4. Distance scoring.  Sounds like fun, but...  I don't think it will really
add participation.  And, as some folks have pointed out, may even hurt.
This would be good to try in a "new" contest or sprint.

5. Attracting new blood.  The way I see it, there is only one way.  We have
to start advertising the fun.  We need more magazine articles.  We need more
presentations at club meetings.  We need more  forums at Hamfests.  We need
to spend more time on the air talking it up.

I'm not much of a writer, but I'll commit to putting together something and
visiting a few of the local clubs.  And I'll do it before the June
contest:-)  And I would like to challenge everyone else to do the same.  I
don't really have a local club, but there are at least 3 within 50 miles of
here, so I can do a few.  A big help here would be for some of the more
proficient writers in the group to put together a presentation and share it
with the group.  Posting to the list may be a problem, but I would be happy
to post it on the Rover Resource Page if needed.

These are my conclusions, and the obvious way to fix the problem.  Now lets
hear from some folks who have recently done some promotion of VHF+
operations.

73
Dan
Dan Evans K9ZF