[VHFcontesting] More insights - Log Submittals

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Wed Apr 16 18:43:10 EDT 2003

I agree. TMI.

Increasing activity, though - instead of focusing on how broke VHF+ contests
are - can we all shift gears to how can we promote activity? Like, a list of
things each of us can try to do in our own spheres of influence, to get
people back to using their radios? Here's my list:

I started a 2m net in the Rochester area. 2m SSB/CW, Monday Night, anyone
can check in. Thus far, attendance has been between 13 - 20 stations each
week, and the numbers of different stations checking in have grown. As we're
on the air, it's been a testbed for people wanting to check out a new
transverter (in this case 24GHz, 1296 and 222MHz were the bands of
interest), exchanging tech details (construction hints) and general BS. It's
not much, but it certainly gets 13-20 stations from the WNY/ONT/OH/WPA
sections on the air each week, that wouldn't normally be on.

The Rochester VHF Group routinely sponsors construction projects. We were
DEMI's guinea-pigs for the 10GHz transverter, and together built 18 of em.
This was VERY popular, and we then did 5GHz, and are looking for something
else to do this year.

We also hold an event called "VHF Academy" (brainchild of W2EV) - which was
Phenomenally successful at attracting newcomers to the VHF+ ranks. We
presented various elements of VHF+ interest, including packet, satellite,
weak-signal propagation and EME, VHF contesting, and even a construction
project (2m horizontal loop antenna) that everyone took home with em. All it
took, was a classroom, a group of dedicated VHFers to give up a Saturday
(and write a program), and some recruiting. Of the 20 attendees, we have
hooked 5 VHFers of the bunch. 25% return isn't bad...

I'd like to hear what other folks have done. Not as a challenge, god no! I'm
looking for other ideas on WHAT we can do here in Rochester to try hooking
some more newbies, and perhaps lighting a flame under the butt of some
old-bies.

Mark, K2AXX
ABCD9EFGHIJP
FN12cs