[VHFcontesting] ICOM 703

kevin kaufhold kkaufhold at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 20 11:15:39 EDT 2003

Greg - K2LDT wrote:

Sounds like some of us want the inverse of the 703, a
"709". No HF, but would have 6m, 2m, 432... maybe it
would be a "cheap" radio then? Would that make room
for 220 or 1296 or maybe 900?

Oops, that sounded like the "dream radio" thread we
already had a few months ago.

Well, I just signed on to this reflector, so I missed
the dream radio thread from a few months ago.

Yes, I would love a "709" inverse of their 703.  6
through 1296, all in one small package. This was done
a long time ago with the Yaesu FT-736 band modules,
but was much bulkier.

Just imagine what Icom could do with the latest
technology if they would only go back to their VHF
roots - they made a great set of radios in the 271,
275 series.  6 through 1926 multi-mode with some
decent power on 6 and 2 like their 706. Possibly, a
separate receive line for an external receive preamp,
as well (they did this with their 551D).

Kevin
W9GKA
EM58