[VHFcontesting] RE: With all due respect... [was:Increasing submitted logs]

Russ Pillsbury k2txb at dxcc.com
Mon Apr 21 22:23:45 EDT 2003

Ev, it can be that bleak.  While total participation in the contests is a
measure of how popular a contest is, so is the number of logs submitted.
For almost all VHF/UHF contests the number of logs has been going down down
down.  The only contest that breaks that mold is the 10 Ghz and above
cumulative contest which has been increasing.

It seems obvious to me that a lot of the contest participants are not
serious about the contest, and only operate it because it is there.  I'm not
saying there is anything wrong with this, but certainly the number of logs
submitted goes more to show participation by people who care about the
contest than the count of all participants does.  I am sure that there are
probably as many people who come on and make 10 or less contacts on a single
band as there are who submit logs.  Counting those people would give a
distorted view of interest in the contests.

The ARRL has formed an ad-hoc committee with some very high level people and
with at least 5 well known serious VHF operators, for the purpose of seeing
what can be done to revitalize the contests.  They are looking at ways to
make the contests more interesting and more varied so we don't have the same
boring format every time.  They are looking for ways to make it easier for
participants to overcome the log submission hurdle.  They are looking for
serious suggestions on ways to make VHF/UHF contesting more attractive to
the 50 to 100 thousand HF operators who have the new combined HF/VHF radios
but who never use the VHF SSB portion of them.

The best thing this group can do to help is to put on our thinking caps and
come up with some insightful suggestions to achieve these goals.  This may
be our last best chance to save a large portion of our niche of the hobby.

73, Russ K2TXB