[VHFcontesting] Re: With all due respect... [was:Increasing submitted logs]

KG4QDZ kg4qdz at arrl.net
Tue Apr 22 02:46:11 EDT 2003

Russ,
Of course it was supposed to be pointedly funny.... One would assume that
you would form a committee or focus group or equivalent composed of those
with trouble sending logs (or at least some representation of such). It
seems the committee is composed of people who probably have no problem with
the contests, or logs, or its requirements, or in participating in them.
Perhaps even folks who "can't imagine" not sending in a log given their own
participation and credentials.

In light of recent discussions, it seems ironic that it is the exact
opposite of the type of folks solicited for opinions or participation on the
reflector. Could be a recipe for a lot of guessing... It certainly doesn't
make any disaffected group feel represented, and what comes out could have a
pro-big-operator feel to it (or at least cause people to think that way).
Anyway, I could go on about the juxtaposition of the 2 approaches, but I
hope that helps. It just hit me as very funny, as if a few high level people
and serious operators were representative of those who knew what the causes
of non-participation are. Kinda like getting a few very wealthy people
together to figure out how to make the food stamp program easier for the
poor recipients.... (see the apparent disconnect?)

I DO understand that these folks are probably those that are most CONCERNED
about any changes that might upset the cart so-to-speak as stakeholders.
That's a different approach than to involve those who are not involved
now.... A customer with a complaint is more valuable to a business than 10
with 'things are great' feedback - it's an opportunity to improve the
business, gain new insights that you might not have, discover problems the
happy group doesn't see, and gather more customers.

Despite the sound of it (on re-reading above) I'm too new at this to take
issue with anything. I'm just making an observation... and a funny....

73, Skip