[VHFcontesting] Digital modes

Lee Scott - AA1YN aa1yn at aa1yn.com
Tue Apr 29 15:14:05 EDT 2003

At 01:51 PM 4/29/2003 -0400, Andrew T. Flowers, K0SM wrote:

>>Lee Scott - AA1YN wrote
>>Neither JT44 nor WSJT puts the grid or lat/lon into the CQ message so is
>>not self spotting unless you deliberately put the info into the CQ
>>message. PSK31 is the same way also.
>
>Lee,
>I'm not sure why adding your grid would make any difference.  Don't most
>folks mention their grid when calling CQ?  It tells me which way the turn
>the antenna when that weak CQ is coming in off the side, and it's pretty
>common practice:  "CQ TEST K0SM/2 FN13 K."  I don't see how this is
>"self-spotting" in any sense of the word.  Why would it be any different
>with simplex digital modes, whether it is AX25, FSK441, or RTTY?
>
>FWIW, many of the serious contesters have been using FSK441 in contests
>for nearly 2 years now, before that it was HSCW.  It makes the wee hours
>of the morning good for something other than sleep :-)
>
>Andy K0SM/2

Hi Andy,

I agree and when I recorded my voice CQ call, I did put my grid into the
call. When I work JT44 during a contest, I've already made contact on a
lower band and use that band as a liaison during the higher band contacts
thus by that time, we've already spotted each other.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH
FN43gc52