[VHFcontesting] Ready for January VHF SS?

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 11 08:26:55 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:16:57AM -0500, Hoffman, Mark wrote:
> Those were the internal PBX station to station intercoms.

Ah, I guess intercoms would make sense - although in the many multiops
I've done, I've never seen intercoms used like that.

> I'll betcha there's a telephone in EVERY bloody shack in America, too.

Perhaps, but you never see them right next to the keyboard and radios
during a contest, and having telephones as part of a setup in a trailer
in the yard seemed odd to me, too.  Naturally, one can look at that and be
suspicious about their use for making skeds during the contest with other
stations.  I know this used to happen all the time in the northeast before
people began to realize that the telephone should not be a part of radio
contesting.

I think the videos were great, though.  I can easily imagine certain
local guys making their own videos like that someday, too :-)  Maybe
without the snow, though...

> Next thing, It'll be questioning the HF radio as the IF. They CAN be used on
> HF for bad things during a VHF contest, right?
>
> Mark, K2AXX

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops