[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Dana Rawding dana at rawding.com
Sun Dec 14 09:15:30 EST 2003

1) How do you account for a log periodic?  Say I want to get my feet
wet as a rover so I grab my FT-897 and a pair of KMA 4113's (50-1300)
there would be a total of 60 elements.  Seems unfair that it would
potentially push me into a high ERP class.

2) Say at my home station I run 110 elements on 1296 MHZ w/ 100W, but
only 5 elements on 50 MHz with 150W and 13 el on 144 MHZ with 150W.  My
1296 station may put me in high ERP, while my 2m & 6m station is far
from high ERP.  I'd probably opt not to run 1296 at all rather than be
forced to compete against the big guns in New England.

3) How do yo account for dishes?  Rather than run 110 elements on 1296
maybe I'd be better off dusting off that old TVRO dish in the back
yard?  I don't have $100's of dollars of test equipment to calculate my
ERP.  Is my math of what I think my ERP is going to be enough?

4) Feed lines and preamp/transverter noise figures make a big
difference.  Why should they not be included in the calculation?

I personally think that going to an ERP based class system would be
very confusing.  In order to make sure no one exploits a big loop hole
the rules would get VERY complex.  Also not all of us aspire to be a
big gun.  I already have K1UHF, K1TEO and W1QK all within 40 miles of
me.  The last thing I need is a half dozen more big guns in the area.

Just some Sunday morning thoughts,
Dana  N1OFZ