[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Sun Dec 14 14:58:01 EST 2003

Dana Rawding asked:
> 1) How do you account for a log periodic?

Easy...how many elements were you USING?  Multi-band L-P's are typically viewed
as 3-element beams, right?  The "most resonant element" + the "one behind and
one in front" is the rule of thumb.

> 2) Say at my home station I run 110 elements on 1296 MHZ w/ 100W, but
> only 5 elements on 50 MHz with 150W and 13 el on 144 MHZ with 150W.

Easy...the ARRL rules already address this.  See "ARRL Rules for VHF Contests",
Rules 2.1.1.1 and 2.1.1.2.

> 3) How do yo account for dishes?

This will require a little thought (especially since it's also possible to use
feedhorns, etc).  But this seems like a minor wrinkly.  The base-concept is
sound.

> 4) Feed lines and preamp/transverter noise figures make a big
> difference.  Why should they not be included in the calculation?

Because it complicates things too much.  Keep it simple and give people some
wiggle-room in how they choose to participate and compete.

2x 13-element beams and 160 watts puts me in the High Power class.  Do I want to
piddle it away with RG-58/u or will I feed my antenna with LDF7-50?

Regards,
Ev Tupis,W2EV

--
PropNET: If the band is open and no one is TXing, does anyone hear it?
HamIM  : Messaging the all-ham way, find Rovers as they go to play.