[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Sun Dec 14 20:02:05 EST 2003

> In a message dated 12/14/2003 9:53:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
w2ev at arrl.net
> writes:
> Not withstanding the other things that annoy you about the scoring, an ERP
based categorizing system is better for our future.

> Am I missing something, but is not HAAT (Height Above Average Terrain) a
much greater factor at VHF/UHF than is ERP?

> 73  -  Jim  K8MR

Only if you're not standing in front of the antenna when the key is pressed
:-)

A little more seriously - there are lots of possible categories that could
be tried.  To suggest that the awards program be changed on a speculative
basis is not really very practical.  However, if it could be demonstrated
that an alternate set of categories did have merit, perhaps formal awards
could be created for them.  I would suggest a "post-processing" approach.

Get band-by-band breakdowns from each of the competitors (which are
available as validated data from the ARRL Web pages) and ask for the extra
information (HAAT, ERP, number of elements, shoe size, whatever) off-line.
Then create post-processing software to see if the results would be of
interest.  The evaluation could even be done with a spreadsheet.  It would
certainly generate some interesting graphics.

Even if contest sponsors don't want to add more award categories, there's no
reason why an organization can't offer it's own award separately.  As long
as the award requires entrants to follow the rules of the contest and submit
logs, I can only see it helping the activity.  Example - QRP ARCI sponsors
"The Running of the Bulls" and the Collegiate Championship run during HF
Sweepstakes.  Last year I got a few teams interested in entering a M/S for a
WRTC-style team competition during IARU HF Championship.

I think this has particular merit in areas away from the big population
centers where the usual scoring system doesn't really recognize local and
regional winners.

73, Ward N0AX