[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 15 10:15:34 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 02:31:11PM -0500, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:
> Duane Grotophorst wrote:
> > > (Element count) x (RF Output) = Entry Category is a great way to
> > > categorize our efforts without compromizing our future by encouraging
> > > less band-participation or band-reporting.
> >
> > I'm not sure I agree, while it may not discourage adding new bands for a
> > better score it will discourage the building of a better station as far as
> > antennas go.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't follow this.  How would I be
> discouraged from building a better antenna system?  I'd see it as making sure
> that the station was well-tuned for the antenna system that I have.

So, how is this a fundamentally different principle than making sure that your
contest operation is well-tuned for the power output that you have?  Or that
the contest operation is well-tuned for the number of bands that you have?

Ev, you seem to be looking at VHF contesting as all about the equipment, and
nothing at all about the people operating it.  Some people like to operate
with simple, low power gear, some people like to go rovering or QRP portable
even though they could probably make more QSOs from home or at a mountaintop
multi-op, some people like to only work a few bands and work them well, and
some people actually look at contesting as a COMPETITION, not some microwave
band publicity event.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops