[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 20:31:31 EST 2003

Hoo boy, I hesitate getting back into this fray... But here goes.

There was a time when the League, through the contests (and otherwise) was
actually pushing to activate the higher bands. By these I man the ones ABOVE
432MHz. Some silly stuff about using the bands or losing them.. Then there
was that silly thing about "advancing the state of the art" by promoting
experimentation and operating on the microwave bands.

Then came along the M/L class, and I agree with Mark and Dave, this REALLY
did a LOT to "unadvance" the situation. Now it may be that there are regions
of the country where most stations don't operate higher than 432MHz, but I
more expect there are operators that just aren't interested. Well, so be it.

BUT, The "use it or lose it" argument is STLL valid and operating on the
microwaves is STILL fun (I expect it is EVEN fun in the less densely parts
of the country!). The state of the art has advanced considerably in recent
years and 400-500 mile QSO's on 2304 or 3456 are routine now and often
signals are louder there than on 6 or 2 meters!

I just can't imagine what good it would do to make another rule change that
penalizes stations that want to push the envelope and actually USE our
underutilized (and really fun) ham bands! Remember, stations are STILL only
competing with other stations in their region and in their entry class.. The
absurd end result of making too many entry classes is calling EVERYONE a
winner and issuing a 1st place certificate for everyone - even those in the
"operating less than one hour with crummy equipment" class. Sheesh!

bill, K1DY FN54jq 50-3456MHz.