[VHFcontesting] A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 14:24:45 EST 2003

--- "Mike A. King - KM0T" <scsueepe at mtcnet.net> wrote:

> I agree...there was very little microwave activity
> here in Iowa, so I got some gear.

There isn't a lot in southern WI either, but it is on
my road map to get on to some of them soon. Why?
Because there are guys like Mike who are already on
those bands. EN13 should be quite workable from EN53,
but far enough to be sufficiently challenging to still
be fun rather than just a way to easily run-up Q
totals. There is also considerable activity in the
NRLS region that should also be mostly workable for me
too. So when I get the microwave bands I'll be making
more Q's, and so will those guys as well, a win-win
situation. And hopefully when I have those bands some
others nearer to me will then see that there is indeed
activity on the microwave bands and make the effort to
get on those bands too.

> PS - I do not agree with any ERP based catagory but
> I do think the division
> of HP and LP should be changed.
>
> HP - 400 watts and up on 50, 144, 222, and 432
> LP -  Less than 400 watts on 50, 144, 222 and 432

I agree they should be changed but not quite that far,
I'm thinking they would be better alligned with the
mid sized bricks, so only bump the 222 and 432 LP
levels up to 150W from 100W. However if need be I
wouldn't be totally against dropping HP vs LP classes
altogether.

> All other higher bands....should not be a concern.
> Why bong a guy for
> getting a 15 watt amp for 5.7 Ghz on Ebay real
> cheap, and have that stick
> him totally into the HP catagory?  If that is a
> concern, he may not get on
> for that reason.  Hams are scroungers...let them get
> what they can get their
> hands on for the upper bands, not limit them because
> they do it.  When 50
> watt solid state amps for 10 ghz get down to $100,
> then maybe it would be
> time to rethink the HP catagory for upper freqs.  I
> dont think thats going
> to happen for quite some time though.

I completely agree with Mike's assesment of the
current microwave band power levels. 10W is clearly
too low and rather arbitrary.

> Power at that higher freqs is a good thing, but its
> more about good
> antennas, feedline and pointing correctly.  The
> higher power just makes it
> easier up there, but its not necessary for more than
> 90% of the QSOs you
> will do on the higher freqs.

And this observation supports the theory that ERP
categorization for classes will destroy much of the
motivation there now is for getting on the microwaves
too.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj