[VHFcontesting] Win friends first in contests, points second

Bill Burgess braillist at sympatico.ca
Tue Dec 16 02:05:24 EST 2003

Greetings all,

Creating rules that penalize folks for using better and larger antennas will discourage them, making all the losers.  Note the following.

I know before I go into a contest that my prime rovering competition will beat me hands down for points, as they are multi op, do grid square x 2 and schedule contacts with multi band stations.  But this is no deterrent for me, a newbie on the bands.  In the September contest, I ran 6 meters with a bit of fm on 2 off the mobile whip in FN14, and 6 and 2 in FN04.  A few contacts were made in FN13 and FN03.  My FN04 location is 80 miles from FN14 and FN03 site is 15 miles sw of FN04.

Scoring, I did not get a high score, but in grids worked, the competition worked 8 grids whereas I worked 18.  What this means is that if I had to resort to simple antennas, those of you in the 10 extra grids I worked would be deprived of an opportunity to get those grids, some needing them for the first time.

So don't shoot yourselves in the foot by restricting us rovers in antennas.

Also, ever think about dividing the total score of multi-op stations by the number of hams participating to get the average score per ham and compare that to yourself if single op?  That gives a better comparison don't you think?

P.S. - had fun in 10 M contest and got 160 contacts in 19 hours including 64 cw contacts with 30 multis and ssb with 45 multis.

Lets keep the fun in contesting.

73,

Bill

VE3CRU at rac.ca or