[VHFcontesting] RE: A suggestion for ERP-based Entry Classes

Fisher, Mike Mike.Fisher at marriott.com
Wed Dec 17 14:01:25 EST 2003

>Why do you want to destroy VHF contesting experience for the rest of us?

Here's my 2 cents worth...

We all could move the power limit up or down based on what gives us the best
standings in a category. On one hand with today's rigs having 100w on 6m
that could be a limit or with some of the small bricks a limit of 200w may
work best.  So 150w low/high limit works fine.

I have entered the VHF contest for 8 years now and the first 4 were with a
dual band FM only rig, so there was NO WAY for me to win (anything). I just
tried to better MY score (300-600 points) from contest to contest and have
fun meeting people on the air. In 1999 I got my FT-847 and now enjoy 6m &
SSB and the scores are much better now, but I still just enjoy just meeting
people (2 min rag chew). I talk up the VHF contesting at my local club
meeting and try to encourage members to "just get on the air and make a few
contacts and get to know some of their neighbors".

While this may sound simple coming from one of the little guys, I would love
to WIN a contest once. I don't have all the neat gear to play with nor do I
have the location but I DO get on as much as I can and try to inspire
other's to do the same.

See you down the log.

Mike  N3VOP