[VHFcontesting] Re: CQ WW VHF Contest

Mark S. Adams, P.E. msadams at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri Jan 3 00:40:15 EST 2003

Hi John and Gang,

I am a rabid qrp guy, HF and VHF, mostly out of necessity. I
wholeheartedlyt support this idea and agree that 10W should be the max.
This would foster more interest as guys like me figure that QRO'ers will go
out with their top notch gear turned down a bit and win. I understand that
you only had 2 entries above 10W, but from the QTHs I have operated, I
think that running 25W vs. my 5W would be a huge difference.

As for the 6 hour blocks. I love it!  I never have been able to mount an
overnight expedition and take it ALL along. Knowing that I had a pair of 6
hour sessions would make more ops want to play.

Lastly, I suggest that there not be a limit on number of operator for qrp.
I could easily entice other hams who are not into vhf to come and help me
out, make setup/teardown go easier along with handling the 10-20 people who
show up asking questions during band openings!  They won't show up to just
watch, they would want to operate. The load of equipment is large enough
that an extra hand would be FB.

There is a HUGE amount of VHF gear on (or maybe not on) the air. You
mentioned the Icoms that are sitting around waiting to be used, there are
the FT817s and the TT Transverter kits too.  But wait, there is a HUGE
untapped population of would-be VHFers on HPACK, the FT817 Yahoo Group,
Adventure Radio Societyt and QRP-L!! These guys must be shown the WA5JVB
cheappie beams and how to find good QTHs.  If just 10% of the these 6000+
guys on the lists that have 6 or 2 would work a couple hours apiece, welll
the math is OBVIOUS! You wouldn't be able to find a font big enough to
spell SUCCESS.

Just my $0.02 es 73,
Mark K2QO