[VHFcontesting] DO NOT OPEN Bigboss e-mail

N. Spokes gnspokes at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 14 20:11:01 EST 2003

Regrets!

First, my apologies for duplications, please just delete duplicated versions
of this and move on.

I was an inadvertent forwarder of the Sobig virus W32.Sobig.A at mm  to my
e-mail addressees - that may include you!  It's also known as Big Boss or
Big at Boss.com.

Do not open any e-mails with attachments
Re: Movies
Re: Sample
Re: Document
Re: Here is that sample
or any attachments such as
sample.pif
movies.pif movie
0074.mpeg.pif
document003.pif
untitled1.pif
sample.pif
I opened such a file thinking, "it's a just *.pif, what harm can it do" --
wrong! It's a worm and it (or its brother!) did trash my satellite
connection so it's not totally harmless.

Details on how to handle this worm are located at
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.a@mm.html and
http://www.rav.ro/virus/showvirus.php?v=158
http://www.pspl.com/virus_info/worms/sobig.htm

Apologies!  I was one day late in getting my antivirus definitions updated
and that was the difference between my wife's computer and mine.  I got the
virus, she didn't (thanks be!)

Cheers!
Neil.
Marshall, VA, USA

PS - More info:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sobig.a@mm.html
http://www.rav.ro/virus/showvirus.php?v=158
http://www.pspl.com/virus_info/worms/sobig.htm

Before W32.Sobig.A at mm sends the messages, it sends a message to an address
at pagers.icq.com.

The worm also attempts to copy itself to the following folders on all the
open network shares:
\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup