[VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Fri Jan 31 06:45:01 EST 2003

I agree with some of the other comments that a single radio is not the right
way to go.

As many of you may be aware, the idea of using more than one radio for HF
contesting is becoming mandatory to be competitive, and I see no reason why
VHF should be any different.

I have a Yaesu FT-847 which I think is adequate for all but the most
demanding VHF contesting - after installing Inrad filters of course.

I'm focused on 6, 2 and 432, and I think that for me, the ultimate station
will be comprised of a Yaesu FT-1000MP- Mark V, and the FTV-1000 Transverter
for 6m, and use the FT-847 on 2 and 432 only.

>From here in Texas, 6m is the 'money' band, and 2 and 432 occasionally yield
a few qsos, but it's nothing like what you have in the New York City region
on 2 meters for example.

I think you have to look at what your greatest opportunities are for making
qsos, and I think in most cases that would involve more than one radio, more
than one tower/rotor and also more than one antenna per band for switching
directions rapidly.

I cannot imagine meeting all of those criteria with one radio.

73,
Bob N5NJ