[VHFcontesting] Re: Ideal contesting rig

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 07:55:09 EST 2003

I agree that the Icom IC970H is considered the top of
the line VHF/UHF rig, and I believe that it is, and it
still commands a very good price.  The one shortcoming
with it is that it is a satellite rig-that means that
it has no 6 meters, no 220, and the 2.4 module is for
the wrong part of the 13cm band.  That seems to be
Icom's dirction today-make all of their VHF rigs
geared only to satellite users.  Yaesu is doing the
same thing.  The beauty of the FT736 was that it was a
satellite rig that was also geared towards terrestrial
operation-hence the 220 and 6 modules.

I am curious as to why there is this satellite focus.
Surely there must be more hams doing terrestrial work
than satellite work

73s John NE0P

http://www-w6yx.stanford.edu/vhf/