[VHFcontesting] Re: Ideal contesting rig

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 13:00:06 EST 2003

Hi Caity, and others,

I was noticing the same thing the other day.  Icom
does seem to have given up on 220, as I don't think
they make any rig that covers 220 now.  Don't know if
they got burned too bad on the 375A or what.  BTW, if
Icom has any left over in their warehouse, they should
look at what they are going for now.  Icom does
deserve special mention, though, for the T81 which did
bring 1.2g capabilities to more people at an
affordable price.  It has been worth a few contest
QSOs and 3 grids towards my VUCC.

The more disturbing trend is how manufactures think we
are all going to become SWLs.  Most of the new HTs
cover HF, wideband receive, etc., but very limited
transmit.  Give me an extra transmit band anyday over
HF receive on an HT.  In fact, I don't want HF
receive.  It has to be frustrating to be out in the
field and hearing all the DX I am missing!

Kenwood did add 220 to the F6 (great job), and Yaesu
made an attempt at 220 in the VX7R, and even alinco
and ADI are making 220 HTs, but when is the first
Quint bander coming out.  Icom did the quad band
concept, too band they discontinued it-now lets take a
T81 and add 220, and find a way to open up the
transmit for 903!!

73s JOhn NE0P