[VHFcontesting] Highest QSO and Grid totals, June contest

Curtis C. Roseman croseman at almaak.usc.edu
Thu Jul 3 10:53:22 EDT 2003

Reflectorites:

While six meters continues to be hot in many areas, lets talk a bit more
about six in the June contest.  Below are two tables:  The first shows the
28 all-time (grid square era) QSO totals on six and the second shows the
24 top grid totals.   These include claimed scores for 2003 only, so some
2003 scores may be missing.

After not much happening at this high end in 2001 and 2002, it is clear
the 2003 was a big one.  I agree with N0JK and others who have suggested
that 2003 was not as big on six as was 1987 (and perhaps a couple of other
years); nonetheless it was a great one.

Some noteable features of the tables:  the over 1000 QSO club is dominated
by South Texas, with good representation from New Mexico and Colorado.
However, the geographic pattern of those totals in the 900s is much more
widespread.   Almost all of the high QSO totals are of fairly recent
origin (only three are on the list from before 1998, two in 1996 and one
from 1987).  I included the Q/Grid ratios.  Almost by definition, most of
the very high QSO totals come with high Q/G ratios.  However, stations in
a variety of locations (OK, FL, KS, SD), get on the list with fairly low
ratios.  These stations were working many different areas.

The list of high grid totals shows a greater geographic dispersion than
the QSO list, with each contest showing a different pattern.  Both coasts
are on the list, Southern California and Arizona from 1987 and Florida
from 2003.  In these cases, lots of double hop contacts were made.  The
Midwest was favored in 1992, with scores on the list from KS, WI, OK, IL,
and IA.  As we might expect, many of the Q/G ratios on this list are
fairly low, an indication of geographically widespread openings.

Lots more to interpret here, but I'll let you do it.

73, Curt Roseman k9aks

-------------

Highest Six Meter QSO Totals
June VHF QSO Party, 1985-Present:
						Q/G
QSOs	GRIDS	CALL	CLASS	 YEAR	SECT	RATIO	QTH

1358	245	W5KFT	L	98	STX	5.54	EM00
1212	233	N5HHS	B	98	STX	5.20	EM10
1161	269	W5KFT	L	96	STX	4.32	EM00
1128	252	K5TR	B	03	STX	4.48	EM00
1104	260	W5KFT	L	00	STX	4.25	EM00
1090	221	W5UWB	B	98	STX	4.93	EL17
1077	262	N5HHS	B	99	STX	4.11	EM10
1066	240	W1XE	L	98	CO	4.44	DN80
1031	234	K0GU	B	98	CO	4.41	DN70
1023	232	N5HHS	B	96	STX	4.41	EM10
1020	260	K5AM	B	00	NM	3.92	DM54
1012	260	K5AM	B	03	NM	3.89	DM54
1009	210	W8CM	B	98	NTX	4.80	EM13
992	259	NW5E	B	03	NFL	3.83	EL98
992	219	K5IUA	M	98	STX	4.53	EL29
991	<219	WB2WIH	B	00	SFL	 	EL96
985	256	K5CM	B	87	OK	3.85	EM25
983	229	AA9D	M	98	IL	4.29	EN52
976	278	WB0DRL	L	92	KS	3.51	EN18
975	239	W5UWB	B	00	STX	4.08	EL17
969	279	K5JL	M	87	OK	3.47	EM15
956	247	N4IS	B	03	SFL	3.87	EL96
953	214	WD5K	B	98	NTX	4.45	EM12
950	263	KC4PX	B	03	SFL	3.61	EL98
944	258	W7XU	L	98	SD	3.66	EN13
935	171	K8GP	M	03	WV	5.47	FM08
918	<210	N5WS	B	98	STX	 	EL09
909	171	W2SZ	M	01	WMA	5.32	FN32
compiled by k9aks
---------------

Highest Six Meter Grid Totals
June VHF QSO Party, 1985-Present:

						Q/G
QSOs	GRIDS	CALL	CLASS	 YEAR	SECT	RATIO	QTH

969	279	K5JL	M	87	OK	3.47	EM15
976	278	WB0DRL	L	92	KS	3.51	EN18
832	272	W0UC/9	M	92	WS	3.06	EN44
1161	269	W5KFT	L	96	STX	4.32	EM00