[VHFcontesting] how to improve FD score

Mike Urich ka5cvh at ka5cvh.com
Fri Jul 4 11:43:44 EDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark" <martho at ameritech.net>

I ran the VHF/UHF station for several hours during field day. After every
Q, I asked for other bands and for CW Q's.
Out of 150 q's on 6/2/432, I was able to manage 8 CW contacts as none of
the stations had CW capabilities.  Often times, when I asked for CW, the
ops didn't respond or just ignored me and went back to CQ'ing.

Mike wrote

It is my opinion, which that and $1.15 will buy you a cup of coffee at
Denny's, that unless the league changes the points structure for FD we won't
see a lot of serious V/UHF activity on FD.  Why should an individual, group
or club go the effort of setting up a V/UHF station and only receive the
same points for a 144 MHz or 432 MHz contact as they get for throwing some
out of the box plug & play hf rig on a battery and dipole?  We must be
intellectually honest here and understand that much about FD is not about
testing all bands and modes under adverse conditions but about scores.

I am glad to see that the league created the new EOC fixed station category
and we did work many "F" stations during FD.  Now if we could just get them
to score V/UHF contacts the same for field day as they do for other ARRL
contests we may see some shift in FD activity.  I'd like to know if there
would be any way to parse out the logs and see just what percentage of
contacts were made on which bands.  It is my guess that the vast majority
(80-90%) will be on 20/40/75

I was also glad to hear Ed Lu on the air (NA1SS) but we need to teach them
(Astronauts) how to contest and not rag chew :-).

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com
LaPorte TX
Clear Lake Amateur Radio Club, K5HOU