[VHFcontesting] HTs and metal siding

John Geiger johngeig at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 6 19:21:52 EDT 2003

I have lived in my present location for 2 years-a
house with steel siding.  I am sure that others live
in similar setups, with aluminum or steel siding, or
in metal trailers.  I am wondering how bad the metal
siding affects RF inside.  I wasn't too active on VHF
FM for 10 years before moving here, but now have
become much more active on the local repeater.  I seem
to have more problems than anyone else does getting
into the local repeaters with an HT.  There seems to
be spots in the house where I can't get in with 5
watts.  I have tried about every HT on the
market-Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, with varying results.
Aftermarket antennas help to varying degrees also, but
there are still problems.  I also notice a decent
amount of fading at times on receiving the signals
from the repeater.  I know that our local repeater
isn't the greatest, but am wondering how much of the
problem is due to my QTH.  And no, I won't move
because I have an awesome house, and can't afford
vinal siding at this time.

Am I doomed to failure because of all of this steel?
I notice some problems on receive also.  I am
seriously considering going crossband repeat so I can
use the outside antennas with my FT100D.  The HT is
nice to be able to move around the house while QSOing,
instead of being tied to one spot in the shack.

I am interested in others' experiences in similar
setups.  Would UHF work better or worse than 2 meters?
 What else might help in such a situation?

73s John NE0P