[VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF] Re: The CQWW-VHF Contest,and The Rover Resource Page

Kenneth E. Harker kharker at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Jul 14 08:59:58 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 07:19:55PM -0400, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:
> "Mike (KA5CVH) Urich" wrote:
> In reference to http://www.BEACONet.org...
>
> > An example of how *not* to animate a website.
> >
> > Mike wrote
> >
> > I don't know ... I suppose it would depend upon what type of an internet
> > connection you have.  My son is a CMS programmer for LeTourneau Univ in
> > Longview TX and they design all pages to be viewed on a 28.8 connection.  I
> > believe that he told me that their research shows that something like 80% of
> > all internet users are on 28.8 or less connections.
>
> Hi Mike,
> I asked the originator to explain what they meant, but no response yet.  Barring
> that, I agree with you.  Frankly...if there is anyone on the list with a dial-up
> account ... I'd appreciate a private email that tells me how long it takes to
> load, please.
>
> In the mean time...learn all about CU2QSO...the ARRL Contest Desk says, "It's
> Contest Delicious!". :)

I have a 56K dialup line.  In MNozilla/Flash on a Win98SE box, it took
~250 seconds to load the front page.  The rest of the site is similarly
slow.

Kenneth E. Harker      "Vox Clamantis in Deserto"      kharker at cs.utexas.edu
University of Texas at Austin                   Amateur Radio Callsign: WM5R
Department of the Computer Sciences          Central Texas DX & Contest Club
Taylor Hall TAY 2.124                         Maintainer of Linux on Laptops