[VHFcontesting] REMINDER:CQWW VHF Contest and CU2QSO Pioneers

Lee Scott - AA1YN aa1yn at aa1yn.com
Fri Jul 18 14:27:44 EDT 2003

Warren,

>I sorry but I don't see it that way.  Other then no digipeating, I have
>still been given information about another station that I have NOT
>gathered on my own.

In this case you have gathered the information on your own with no outside
help.  The other station is basically sending CQ in digital mode, You have
picked up that CQ via your own radio and your computer has marked the
position of the calling station on a map.  There is no intervening
assistance anywhere or anyhow.  Once you pick up that other station and
acknowledge the signal/information, it in itself is a valid contact
according to the League officials.  The only thing CU2QSO has in common
with Packet Cluster is the mode of transmission - A Packet of digital
information.  Other than that, there is nothing in common.

>In this case my assist if from my other radio and COMPUTER, it has decoded
>all the information I need to go and make the contact.

Here, you have your own equipment talking directly to the other stations
equipment.  It doesn't matter if the digital format is PSK31, FSK441, JT44
or Packet.  It is direct two way communication which is acceptable.

>Isn't this what PacketCluster does?  PacketCluster provides me with
>information to make a contact same as CU2QSO!

PacketCluster will repeat your information thus re-broadcasting it, routing
it to other Packet Nodes which may in turn re-broadcast it to other Packet
Nodes until the information reaches the final destination. Packet Cluster
has the ability to route a message where CU2QSO does not. PacketCluster
will also handle the message traffic automatically where CU2QSO is a manual
operation and you must personally answer the CQ call.

It is no different than my calling CQ via FSK441 (the WSJT Meteor Scatter
mode) and having someone answer my CQ back. I may even try it in Sept.

Hope this helps you understand.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH