[VHFcontesting] REMINDER:CQWW VHF Contest and CU2QSO Pioneers

Tree tree at kkn.net
Fri Jul 18 14:40:12 EDT 2003

> >PacketCluster will repeat your information thus re-broadcasting it,
> >routing it to other Packet Nodes which may in turn re-broadcast it to
> >other Packet Nodes until the information reaches the final destination.
> >Packet Cluster has the ability to route a message where CU2QSO does not.
> >PacketCluster will also handle the message traffic automatically where
> >CU2QSO is a manual operation and you must personally answer the CQ call.
>
> I am not disputing the actual QSO aspect of this, just the ASSISTANCE
> aspect. The COMPUTER becomes the other operator in the shack tuning for
> mults on another radio like a multi-op station.

You have my sympathy Warren - it doesn't "feel" like the right thing to do.

However, technically, since this is simplex operation, it isn't against the
rules - and the point that a machine is doing the receiving would be equally
valid if the mode was CW - which isn't against contest rules.

I think the main reason that this doesn't feel right to many of us is that
it removes the operator from much of the QSO process and starts to feel too
much like packet.  Since packet spotting is an evil thing, then this starts
to feel like an evil thing as well.

I think as we move too much towards technology like this, the "fun" aspect
for many of us will diminish.  It removes operator skill somewhat and gives
you a piece of technology that allows you to be less efficient as an
operator and still work "lots" of multipliers.

I guess we will see if this technique gains critical mass or not.  It might
in some parts of the country, but at least I don't think it will out here
in the Northwest.

Tree N6TR
tree at kkn.net