[VHFcontesting] Keep the true spirit of contesting alive

Hoffman, Mark mhoffman at microwavedata.com
Mon Jul 21 11:09:36 EDT 2003

Bill,

Some clarification would be nice, on your statement "Neither myself or
others  who keep it simple can compete with all of you who use additional
high tech devices". What are you talking about, high tech?

Contesting, as radiosport, is intended to advance the state-of-the-art in
performance. SO2R is a prime example. A single person, now fully controlling
2 radios and using them to take advantage of both technology and their own
skills. Yeah - there is some fancy high-tech stuff involved here.

CU2QSO, for example (which is what you're probably refering to) CAN be a
useful tool. It's NO substitute for (as WM5R wisely points out) roaming the
bands and making noise - but it's quite handy. I've used it in non-auto-tx
mode (where I have to push buttons to make it TX - no violation of rules
there) and YES - it was dang quiet all weekend. But, as a nice little tech
toy, it now holds a place in my shack.

I have a voice keyer, auto-CQer (for CW), SO2R controller (for 6m, 2m-432
automation) and other neat-o stuff that HELPS me take advantage of these
tech advances, in addition to honing my own op skills. THIS is the true
spirit of contesting, advancing the SOTA and making a good score.

Isn't your IC-756ProII pretty snazzy high-tech? I don't have a bandscope in
my station. I can't check activity across a 200kHz span without tuning it
manually. Sounds like an unfair tech advantage to me!

-Mark, K2AXX