[VHFcontesting] CU2QSO

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Mon Jul 21 18:35:55 EDT 2003

"Kenneth E. Harker" wrote:

>    So, as a fixed station in a VHF contest, it seems to me that CU2QSO
> could be used in one of two ways:
>
>    (a) I sit in front of a computer screen and wait for something to happen.
>        Like watching TV but not as fun.
>
>    (b) The CU2QSO computer is off to the side and I completely ignore it
>        until IT TELLS ME that there's a station on the band.
>
>    Neither of these seems to me to be as much fun as twiddling the knobs,
> aiming the antennas, and decoding SSB or CW signals with my own two ears.

Ahhh. but how about you twiddle, aim and decode...all the while having a CU2QSO
station in the background?  Then, when you least expect it, a Rover appears on a
hilltop, an icon appears on your map, you send them a keyboard message (logging
them on 2 meters) and run the bands with them on SSB or CW from that point
onward.

You beat the multi-ops to 'em.  While they're still trying to find the rover,
you're back to twiddling, aiming and decoding again.  CU2QSO replaces
nothing...it can simply make it funner. :)

Ev, W2EV
http://www.BEACONet.org and
follow the hyperlink for CU2QSO