[VHFcontesting] Operator versus technology

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Fri Jul 25 00:28:57 EDT 2003

Tree wrote:
> KE3HT has some interesting points, basically asking if CU2QSO is okay, why
> isn't ARPS with appropriate configuration.  Is AX.25 the problem?

If you can say the above, then I can say this...
o Simplex SSB CQing is Voice Spotting with "appropriate configuration"
o CU2QSO is APRS with "appropriate configuration"

If it's "appropriately configured", what's the beef?

> Obviously, the ARRL has had a tough time making decisions about what is
> permitted and what isn't.  I think they are trying to serve two (or more)
> special interest groups, and will never be able to make everyone happy
> (including themselves).

These are prejorative terms again, Tree.  The phrase "special interest groups"
evokes images of high-paid lobby lawyers pressuring for something that will make
them a ton of money.

I developed the system.  There is no "special interest group" involved.  If, by
the term "special interest groups", you refer to me as a person who would love
to see more VHF logs submitted and everyone enjoy success in radiosporting, then
I'm guilty as charged. :)

The "special interest group" is me, a "regular Joe" who loves VHF radiosporting
and found a way to provide a level of fun to all contest participants (CU2QSO's
RF knows no boundries -- other than LOS <grin>).

Rather than keep it to myself (and the club that I belong to), I chose to put up
a website and share the strategy with others...for the benefit of the entire VHF
Contesting community.

Use the strategy or don't.  The ARRL says it's fine.  Come on in, the water's
warm! :)

Ev, W2EV