[VHFcontesting] Re: CU2QSO

Ev Tupis (W2EV) w2ev at arrl.net
Fri Jul 25 01:14:04 EDT 2003

"Joseph H. Taylor" wrote:

> No one has mentioned an aspect of CU2QSO use in VHF contests that I
> suspect was a significant motivation -- quite possibly the chief
> motivation -- for developing the CU2QSO mode in the first place.  It
> has to do with the effect of club-oriented Rovers on the total
> scores of their "home clubs".

I've shared my motivation in previous emails, Joe.  I do this because i love
radiosports and want others to enjoy them, too.  This has nothing to do with
club competition, though I may use that to motivate some to help me with my
experiments to get the system to where it is today. :)  Before you say "ah-ha!,
read the rest of the email...especially the paragraph that starts out, "Now, for
the REAL interesting information:...".

> Ev, W2EV: you most likely know all (or nearly all) of the people who
> have used CU2QSO in recent contests.  Would you care to let us know
> who they might be, and what club(s) they might be affiliated with?

Packet-based VHF is not a DX mode (unless you count meteor scatter -- November
1999 QST).  If I'm going to have any help in developing such a system, I need to
find local help in doing so.  I have had the help of two local rovers in the
development of the system...neither of which have used it during the January VHF
SS ... ever.

Now, for the REAL interesting information: three of my local club's rovers just
melted down their stations (quitting roving) -- three of 'em in one year.  The
"market" for CU2QSO in my local club has just evaporated.  Why do I continue to
evangelize the system?  Because I love radiosporting and want to increase the
fun-factor for everyone.  This isn't about club competition...it's about fun
(the #1 reason that we all participate).  Maybe along the way, we'll get a few
more logs submitted from around the country, too.

Ev, W2EV

PS...how about another "aspect of CU2QSO use" that no one has touched on yet,
either: All-RF All-simplex 'Instant Messaging'.  Power-up and show this to your
kids and watch their eyes light up.  This is a way to engage the next generation
of hams right now.  Try it, you'll like it! :)